TOGGLE SIDEBAR
Live the Magic
We are only as strong as we are united

THE INTERNATIONAL STATUTE OF TRANSPARENCY

"On this day, the thirteenth of June of the year two thousand and thirty four, in the spirit of honesty, safety and the equality of all mankind, the magical population and the non-magical population will no longer remain hidden from one another, but will be unified as one. Rather than withholding from one another, we today take a step toward a better future, as the union of two such extraordinary cultures and resources promises a betterment in quality of life for all. This statute applies to every living being that is capable of thinking and reasoning for itself. Either Discrimination or Deceptiveness in respect to the statute are both considered the highest form of noncompliance in all countries involved, and are punishable as treason. Every world leader, both magical and non-magical, have signed this statute in agreement that Transparency between the respective communities of the world is the best path toward knowledge and peace."

Add Reply
New Poll

Hey, So ... Personal Question, You Ready?, Tag: Malvolio Barberry | By Great Hall
Marcus Barrow
 Posted: Jul 25 2016, 03:40 PM
Marcus Barrow
Hufflepuff
Slutty and Highly Distractible
Halfblood
16 YEARS OLD
"Hey, hey, hey, hey! Wanna hang out?"
I discovered the outdoors and never went back in.
Special Ability: Sheer Adorableness
Liz

@poof

Mid-December, 2035

Marc was about to turn 16 and had been given pretty much the best birthday present ever! Like, OK, maybe he was wrong. Maybe it was just another guy with the same name, but ... well, frankly, that kind of stuff wasn't really crossing his mind. He'd seen the name Gregory Sharpe and immediately latched onto the idea that he had a secret brother right here at Hogwarts and no amount of rationality or common sense was about to convince him otherwise. And that's why he was lurking outside the doors into the Great Hall. Like a stalker.

It didn't really occur to him how creepy he was being, because Marc was, of course, oblivious like that.

He'd sort of watched the kid a little bit, just to be sure that he was thinking of the right one. It had taken a while to hear somebody call him by name, since Mal apparently didn't have a lot of friends. Well, that was OK. Marc would help him out with that! Under Marc's tutelage, Mal would blossom like crazy and everything would be fantastic and wonderful and they would put their arms around each other's shoulders and tell brother secrets and Marc would write him a brother song and they'd go to each other's houses and holy crap this was gonna be awesome!

It seemed like he'd been waiting for ages, and Marc had become super distracted thinking about hot people he wanted to kiss, and he nearly missed Mal's exit entirely. The kid walked quietly, like he just wanted to fade into the shadows and go unnoticed. He was alone, too. And now he was walking away from Marc, head down, shoulders hunched, and Marc was not about to miss his opportunity.

"Hey!" he exclaimed, pushing off the wall and full-on running toward the younger kid. "Mal! Wait up! Hey!"

--------------------
Marc | Hufflepuff | 5th-year
Thread Tracker

user posted image
PM
^
Malvolio Barberry
 Posted: Jul 25 2016, 09:53 PM
Malvolio Barberry
Ravenclaw
Single and Not Looking
Muggleborn
13 YEARS OLD
*shrugs*
Whatever....
No Special Ability
poof

As usual, Mal had kept to himself while he ate. He put himself in the furthest corner of the Ravenclaw table, and staying silent and keeping his head low throughout the meal. It was just like eating at home. He didn’t talk to anyone, no one talked to him, and he felt a little empty no matter how much he ate. You couldn’t have guessed it by looking at his bordering on scrawny body, but Mal could pack away food like he weighed three times as much as he did. It was that growing teenage boy appetite. It was nice having enough food to get near being full too.

When it was time to file out of the Great Hall, he sat and waited a while, not wanting to get swept up in the crowd. He hated being surrounded by people. It wasn’t that he was claustrophobic, he just felt like the random little laughs and glances that come with a gaggle of students were always directed at him. It made him feel beyond uncomfortable, so he saved himself the trouble by being one of the last students to file out.

He was used to walking back to the Ravenclaw Common Room without being bothered. The only time anyone stopped him was if he dropped something, or if the Caretaker told him yet again that he needed to brush his hair and fix his uniform. It wasn’t Mal’s fault that he always looked disheveled. Between his various points of stress, it was hard to maintain a presentable appearance throughout the day.

So there he was, walking along, minding his own business, when someone he had seen but didn’t know was calling his name and running right at him. Mal’s stomach churned. The guy was pretty big. He was about to get beat up or thrown in a waste bin, wasn’t he?
PM
^
Marcus Barrow
 Posted: Jul 25 2016, 10:20 PM
Marcus Barrow
Hufflepuff
Halfblood
16 YEARS OLD
Liz

Awesome! He'd gotten his attention! (As though shouting someone's name and running him down in the hallway could be insufficient. Marc was lucky Mal didn't turn and flee.) He came to a sliding stop next to his brother the other kid, windmilled his arms in order to prevent falling flat on his face, and righted himself with a doofy grin.

For a long moment, he just sort of stood there and looked at Mal. Their eyes were different colors but pretty much the same shape and size, and they had the same dark, floppy hair, and the same complexion. It was a little bit like looking in a mirror, honestly. Marc wasn't sure whether that was completely real or partly imagined due to his great excitement, but he didn't much care either way.

And now he wasn't quite sure what to say. 'I've seen your file' seemed like a bit of an intense way to get into it, so maybe he should just start by introducing himself and setting the kid at ease. Of course, opening his mouth in such a nerve-wracking moment just led to an intense stream of babbling:

"Hey, so, I'm Marc ... us. Marcus Barrow. But Marc, that's what people call me, that's what you should call me. And you're Mal, right? Malvolio Barberry." Except that he mispronounced Mal's name. He made it sound like 'Mal-va-LEE-o' and, frankly, he was impressed with himself for having been able to read that four-syllable monstrosity.

"So, um, I was wondering about ... like, I had a question for you. Have. A question. Important one." He rubbed one hand nervously at the back of his neck.

--------------------
Thread Tracker

user posted image
PM
^
Malvolio Barberry
 Posted: Jul 25 2016, 10:40 PM
Malvolio Barberry
Ravenclaw
Single and Not Looking
Muggleborn
13 YEARS OLD
*shrugs*
Whatever....
No Special Ability
poof

Mal had no idea what was going on, so he took a cautious step back as Marc got closer, ready to dart off in the other direction if need be. He jerked back when Marc flailed his limbs, certain that he was about to be hit. But nope. This guy apparently just had difficulty with basic motor skills from what Mal could tell. That made him a good bit less threatening.

That was until he started staring. That was…that was weird. Mal folded his arms and looked away. He really, really didn’t like being stared at, but he wasn’t about to say anything. The guy was still bigger than him, and he didn’t seem all that stable. He rocked back and forth on his feet, waiting for Marc to either say something or just let him go on his way.

When Marc started rambling on, Mal looked up at him with his brows drawn together. He was confused, and the guy honestly sounded like a bit of an idiot. And what did he want with him anyway? Ugh, and he called him Malvolio (and mispronounced it). Only his mom and professors called him that. “It’s just Mal,” he said flatly. “Hi, I guess.”

Marc’s declaration of intent kept Mal on edge. He felt like he was about to be pranked or something. “So…what is it?”
PM
^
Marcus Barrow
 Posted: Jul 25 2016, 11:06 PM
Marcus Barrow
Hufflepuff
Halfblood
16 YEARS OLD
Liz

Oh. Marc was terrible at reading people, but there were certain gestures that always meant the same thing. Crossing your arms and looking away meant that you were feeling really weird and the person nearest you was probably the one responsible for it. OK, he was being weird ... but he didn't really know how not to be weird! It was just killing him. It had been a full week since he'd made his discovery, and he needed to get it off his chest.

All right. OK. Here he went. This was it. He was fine. He wasn't awkward at aaalllll.

Marc took a small step backward to give Mal some more breathing room. He kinda had been right up in the kid's face. And then he tried to figure out where to start, and, again, once he opened his mouth he started babbling:

"Look, so, you're younger than me, right? I mean, obviously. I'm a fifth-year and you're a third-year. And, um ... I never ... so, like ... I never had a dad. Or, like, I have a dad, you know, or I wouldn't exist, but he didn't want me. So I never had him around. Right? And then ... so, like a week ago, I knocked over all these files? And I had to organize 'em, right? And your dad and my dad have the exact same name and ... and I guess I was wondering ... if he ... did he ever say anything? About me?"

Whoa. OK, that had ended up in a place that was completely different from where he'd intended. Like, wow. He sounded needy as hell right now. Crap. Marc flushed, finally looking away from Mal's face and clearing his throat in an especially manly fashion.

--------------------
Thread Tracker

user posted image
PM
^
Malvolio Barberry
 Posted: Jul 28 2016, 11:45 PM
Malvolio Barberry
Ravenclaw
Single and Not Looking
Muggleborn
13 YEARS OLD
*shrugs*
Whatever....
No Special Ability
poof

The step back was silently appreciated, but Mal kind of wished Marc would keep taking step after step away form him until they weren’t in the same place anymore. He really hoped the older student would just lose interest in him all together and go on his way like everyone else did. Sadly, Marc seemed to have more to say, and who knew how long that would take?

Mal sighed and looked up at the taller boy, a mix of disinterest and mild confusion on his face. There was definitely something slow about the other kid. Why was he going on about not having a father? That didn’t seem like the sort of thing you just pulled people aside to tell them. Mal would know. He didn’t have a dad either, but he didn’t just go telling random people about it. Then he was going on about papers and then…why was Mal’s father coming into this conversation?

The look of indifference turned to one of disbelief and mild anger. Yeah, this guy was messing with him. “I don’t know what you’re playing at, but it’s not funny.” His hands balled up into tiny fists of annoyance. Even if their fathers had the same name, it wasn’t like it was a terrifically uncommon one. Regardless, he didn’t appreciate the topic being brought up at all.
PM
^
Marcus Barrow
 Posted: Jul 29 2016, 04:12 AM
Marcus Barrow
Hufflepuff
Halfblood
16 YEARS OLD
Liz

Uhhh ... wait a minute. That was not a response Marc had been expecting. Did this kid really think he was, like, screwing with him? Trying to make some sort of a joke? What the hell kind of jokes was this kid used to? There was absolutely nothing funny about the possibility that Marc's dad had knocked up his mum, left them because of magic, and then wound up raising another kid who also ended up at Hogwarts. That was, in fact, probably the least funny thing Marc could possibly think of. It was painful. It was the one thing that stood between him and perfect, blindly moronic happiness.

Marc looked at Mal again, an expression of complete shock on his face. "Wha ... funny? No, I don't think there's anything funny about it. I'm not ... taking the piss. Come on, man, why would I joke about something like that?" His eyes traveled from Mal's angry, disbelieving face down to his tiny fists of annoyance. OK ... so he really thought ... what?

Marc spread his hands innocently. "Look, man, I dunno what kind of shit other kids pull on you, but I'm being completely honest here. Like ... Gregory Sharpe. Film director. Did a lot of drugs. Afraid of magic. Probably looks kinda like us."

Crap. Out of all the possible reactions, he certainly hadn't expected Mal to think that this was a prank!

--------------------
Thread Tracker

user posted image
PM
^
Malvolio Barberry
 Posted: Aug 2 2016, 01:21 AM
Malvolio Barberry
Ravenclaw
Single and Not Looking
Muggleborn
13 YEARS OLD
*shrugs*
Whatever....
No Special Ability
poof

No. No, Marc had to be joking. He had to be. That was the only sensible option in this scenario. But from the look on his face, he was being serious. That…no it didn’t…no. Mal remained steadfast in his annoyed anger, unwilling to feel anything else until he was given some sort of proof, or Marc said it was a joke, or he backed off all together.

He listened to Marc trying to defend his innocence, and something told him the guy really wasn’t messing with him. At least, he wasn’t trying to. Maybe it was something in his voice, maybe it was his Hufflepuff robes. It wasn’t enough to get Mal on board with the idea, but it was enough to get him to hear the older boy out.

What came next though…Gregory Sharpe. Film director. Did drugs. He didn’t hear anything after that. A look of a different shade of disbelief came over Mal as his fists relaxed and his arms fell to his sides. He stepped back until his back was literally to the wall. His eyes were wide, and it looked like the color was starting to drain from his face. “I…I don’t…I think I need to sit down,” Mal said as he slid down to the floor. Anyone could know his father’s name from looking at his file, but the other stuff? No…no Marc wasn’t joking.

He looked up at Marc through his shaggy dark hair. “Bloody hell, you’re serious.”
PM
^
Marcus Barrow
 Posted: Aug 2 2016, 01:46 AM
Marcus Barrow
Hufflepuff
Halfblood
16 YEARS OLD
Liz

... Oh. Oh. The whole situation had just gotten so real. Apparently there had been some small part of Marc, some tiny, locked-away portion of his heart, that wanted to be wrong. Some part of him had wanted Mal to laugh him off, to say, "Dude, my dad's an astrophysicist." Some part of him had wanted to be wrong because being right about this had just as many scary parts as it had good parts. Maybe more.

And now, watching the other kid his brother lean against the wall and slide to the floor ... that was like a punch to the gut. Because Mal was overwhelmed and sad and confused and Marc had done that to him. And they were brothers. Right?

Like ... holy. shit. They were brothers. Like ... that pretty much clinched it, right?

Marc's eyebrows drew together as he watched Mal slide to the floor, and after a moment's contemplation, he approached to sit down next to him. He sort of started to put his arm out, then reconsidered. But he slid down the wall just like Mal had, and sat next to him, and looked at him from pretty close quarters.

"So ... um ... sounds familiar, then, huh?" He started nervously worrying at the cuffs of his robes, trying to figure out what else to say.

"Um ... I mean ... I think it's kinda cool. You know? Like ... I always wished I had a brother or sister. And now ... you know. We're ... you know."

--------------------
Thread Tracker

user posted image
PM
^
Malvolio Barberry
 Posted: Aug 2 2016, 02:00 AM
Malvolio Barberry
Ravenclaw
Single and Not Looking
Muggleborn
13 YEARS OLD
*shrugs*
Whatever....
No Special Ability
poof

They…they were…Mal had a…no…but it was true. He looked down at the floor and pulled his knees to his chest, trying to find some sort of familiar comfort in an absolutely unfamiliar situation. Mal’s chest and shoulders were beginning to rise and fall more quickly as the realization began to sink in. He had a brother. Marc was his…Marc was his brother. Well, his half-brother. Still, it was…no.

He watched Marc’s feet get closer, and held still as he held his hand out to him. Thankfully he pulled it back, but then he was…no Mal didn’t like that. He didn’t like him sitting next to him. He said nothing at first, not having much to say at all. Words were lost on him. And then Marc was talking about always wanting one…a brother…and that was enough to make Mal scoot away from him.

“Look just,” he got a bit further from Marc, casting a quick glance of caution and near-warning at him. “Just back off, alright?” He didn’t want Marc near him. He didn’t want him invading his personal space like he had just invaded his life. His heart was beating faster, and he was starting to feel angry again. Marc had just ambushed him with this after dinner and what, expected them to start talking like they knew each other for more than five minutes?
PM
^
Marcus Barrow
 Posted: Aug 2 2016, 02:13 AM
Marcus Barrow
Hufflepuff
Halfblood
16 YEARS OLD
Liz

Marc was confused, and he flinched ever so slightly at the harsh tone of Mal's voice. He didn't ... he just didn't get it! Marc always wanted to be closer to people, and he'd wanted a sibling forever. So, yeah, this was scary and overwhelming, but it was also probably the best thing that had ever happened to him. He didn't care that Mal was a Ravenclaw, or that he was scrawny and funny-looking, or that he was, apparently, the most super-defensive kid in the universe. Nothing mattered except for the fact that they were related.

So Mal's response was completely baffling. Did ... did Marc smell bad? It was possible ... he ran around, like, a lot. Did he look threatening in some way? It couldn't just be that Mal didn't want him around, right? Because ... because they were brothers. Brothers!

He felt that funny feeling that meant his lips were curling downward into a frown. It was infrequent enough that it always felt bizarre on his face. For a moment, Marc looked around as though checking to see if someone was playing a joke on him. Then he rubbed at the back of his neck.

"Look, sorry," he said, "just ... I know it's ... weird. And intense. But, like, it's awesome, too! You know? We can ... we should, you know, hang out. Like ... go to Hogsmeade, or something. You know Zonko's? They make this yo-yo? That can do all these funny shapes? I can get you one. And ... you know ... just ... do brother ... stuff."

He felt like his heart was in his throat, like he was going to choke on it. This had to work! He couldn't ... his brother couldn't reject him the way his father had. He couldn't deal with that. Especially not the idea of Mal going home to where their dad lived and hanging out with him and laughing about that dumb extra kid who nobody wanted.

Shit. His eyes started to well up with that thought.

--------------------
Thread Tracker

user posted image
PM
^
Malvolio Barberry
 Posted: Aug 2 2016, 02:29 AM
Malvolio Barberry
Ravenclaw
Single and Not Looking
Muggleborn
13 YEARS OLD
*shrugs*
Whatever....
No Special Ability
poof

Mal didn’t want to look at Marc. He didn’t even want Marc to be there. He just wanted to be alone in the hallway, walking back to the Ravenclaw common room, without any of this having happened. He fiddled with the sleeves of his robes and looked down the hall, up at a tapestry, anywhere but at the guy that just happened to be his half-brother.

Anger began to cool into something Mal was more accustomed to: apathy. He didn’t care. He couldn’t let himself care. If he let himself get wrapped up in having a half-brother, then it would be like when his mom had his half-sister all over again. It would just hurt, and it would be bad. Except now he would have nowhere to run to. There was no Hogwarts away from Hogwarts.

“Marc I don’t...” he took a second to steel those walls that he had spent years building up. “I don’t want any yo-yos. I don’t want to go to Hogsmeade. I don’t want to hang out.”

Unable to stand sitting next to Marc anymore, Mal got to his feet, ignoring the shaking in his hands and legs. He still didn’t look at Marc, not wanting to see whatever face he was making. He took a breath to calm himself, and slowly began walking in the direction of the Astronomy tower.
PM
^
Marcus Barrow
 Posted: Aug 2 2016, 02:41 AM
Marcus Barrow
Hufflepuff
Halfblood
16 YEARS OLD
Liz

... No. Nope. This wasn't happening. This was just his brain tormenting him, playing out the worst-case scenario. This couldn't actually happen. Things like this didn't happen in Marc's world of happy Disney movies and storybooks. You didn't mystically find your long-lost brother and then not want to be with him. You didn't reject offers of yo-yos when they were special family yo-yos! You didn't ... this wasn't ... this wasn't right and it hurt!

At first, Marc just sat there struggling to process the absurdly painful things Mal had just said to him. And then he realized that he was losing his chance, that his brother was walking away, so he scrambled to his feet and darted after the younger boy. He wasn't thinking about the fact that Mal clearly didn't want to be anywhere near him, because that wasn't a possible outcome of this situation. So he reached out and grabbed Mal's arm to halt him.

"Wait!" Marc exclaimed, his voice tinged with desperation now. "Look, we ... so ... so you don't like yo-yos. That's fine. We don't have to do yo-yos. We can just ... well, you're smart and shit, right? We can study together. Let's do that. We'll just ... I can't ... come on, man ... "

At the end, there, he started to sound like he was begging because this was starting to seem super real. Like, Mal was actually just trying to walk away. And that couldn't be the way it happened. That couldn't be the end of this story. A few tears broke free, and Marc swiped fiercely at his cheeks with his free hand.

--------------------
Thread Tracker

user posted image
PM
^
Malvolio Barberry
 Posted: Aug 2 2016, 02:58 AM
Malvolio Barberry
Ravenclaw
Single and Not Looking
Muggleborn
13 YEARS OLD
*shrugs*
Whatever....
No Special Ability
poof

The faster he got away from Marc, the faster he could forget about Marc. The faster he could get away from Marc, the faster he could go back to not having a half-brother. The faster he got away from Marc, the sooner he could let himself start crying. There was another mistake out there, from the same man, and he was probably the only person in the world who could begin to understand how Mal was feeling. That’s what made Marc dangerous. Not how big he was or how strong he looked. It was how close he could get to Mal.

Just when he thought he was in the clear, Mal felt Marc’s giant hand around his arm. His first instinct was to flinch, which he did. The second was to try and tug his arm free, which he couldn’t. The third and final one was turning and finally facing Marc, a steely look thrown on his face as solidly as he could manage in the face of Marc’s tears.

“Let go of me…I said let go!” When Marc finally released his arm, Mal took a stride back, keeping an eye on him. “You don’t get it, do you?” Mal knew he was a jerk. He knew he was better off without more people to disappoint him. He knew what he had to do, even if a small part of him was begging himself not to do it.

“I don’t want a brother, Marc,” he sad as coldly as the snow drifting outside. He took another step back. And another. And then he turned his back on Marc, and walked away with purpose.
PM
^
Marcus Barrow
 Posted: Aug 2 2016, 03:10 AM
Marcus Barrow
Hufflepuff
Halfblood
16 YEARS OLD
Liz

It was really hard to let go. Really hard, but he forced himself to do so when Mal requested - no, demanded - it a second time. Marc could barely believe the fierce tone that came out of the tiny kid. Now there were tears streaming down his face, and he stared at the other boy with complete shock and pain in his expression.

This wasn't happening. This wasn't happening. This couldn't be happening.

“You don’t get it, do you?”

Marc just sort of shook his head confusedly. He didn't get it. He couldn't fathom it. It simply didn't make sense. And then ...

Oh. This was that feeling, right? The feeling that other kids talked about, the one that Marc hadn't even totally believed in. Heartbreak. That's what this was. That's why his throat felt like it was closing up. That's why his toes were going numb. That's why he felt like there was acid churning in his stomach, trying to eat through it. This was heartbreak, and his chest actually hurt.

He opened his mouth, then closed it. He swallowed. His throat was dry. He tried to make words, any words, but just made a sort of choking sound instead. And then Marc was staring at Mal's back as he walked away. It was wavery through the tears.

He could barely breathe. It hurt.

--------------------
Thread Tracker

user posted image
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Our Affiliates
RPG-D LOHT
SKINNED BY 'WHAT KATY DID' AT SHINE