TOGGLE SIDEBAR
Live the Magic
We are only as strong as we are united

THE INTERNATIONAL STATUTE OF TRANSPARENCY

"On this day, the thirteenth of June of the year two thousand and thirty four, in the spirit of honesty, safety and the equality of all mankind, the magical population and the non-magical population will no longer remain hidden from one another, but will be unified as one. Rather than withholding from one another, we today take a step toward a better future, as the union of two such extraordinary cultures and resources promises a betterment in quality of life for all. This statute applies to every living being that is capable of thinking and reasoning for itself. Either Discrimination or Deceptiveness in respect to the statute are both considered the highest form of noncompliance in all countries involved, and are punishable as treason. Every world leader, both magical and non-magical, have signed this statute in agreement that Transparency between the respective communities of the world is the best path toward knowledge and peace."

Add Reply
New Poll

A Time To Brood, Casey Mullane | Slytherin Dungeons
Duncan Connery
 Posted: Jul 7 2016, 10:24 PM
Duncan Connery
Slytherin
Single
Slytherin
16 YEARS OLD
"Stop calling me broody. I'm just quiet."
I'm a halfblood wizard and I'm 15. Hogwarts is my home. It's where I met Astrid, Matthew, and Ariadne, my best friends. Anything else you want to know, you can read my application.
Animagus in Training
Heather

8 November, 2035 | @Casey Mullane

despite the anger

Duncan,

Your father and I have discussed Christmas. We feel you should be old enough to attend a family Christmas event without the crutch of friends, and so are requiring that you, and you alone, return home for Christmas for our annual trip. We will be going to the Caribbean this year. An island group called the Bahamas. We expect this news will disappoint you, despite our efforts to raise you as a proper son of a high society family. Son, you are too emotional. As we have said before, you must control these silly emotions of yours and only allow people to see you care when it benefits you and how you attain your goals.

We have reservations about your dating the daughter of two aurors. This Astrid is not of a high society family, so we will not be giving our blessing. We are unsure whether we should approve this relationship or not. Maybe we should start making plans to promise you to a proper young lady? Let us know your thoughts.

We understand you are a growing teenager, so we hope this letter finds you in a good mood. You often do not portray yourself as a proper member of London's high society should. If this does not change over Christmas, we may be forced to visit you at the school to root out the cause. Please, do not disappoint us.

With dignity,
Ms. Pebbles and Mr. Lyall Connery

Duncan was fuming. His parents didn't "approve" of Astrid? They'd never even met her! She was daring, fiery, fun. She refused to let him wallow in self-pity, in his broody mess. She was his best friend and his confidante and they didn't "approve?" And hell no would he be letting them "promise" him to anyone. He would not put up with an arranged relationship simply to ease their reservations. Fuck no.

And his parents had lied. Again. They'd said Duncan could invite his three friends along on their Christmas vacation to the Caribbean, but now, they had retracted that offer. It was stupid. Not that any of his friends could probably go anyways. But for his parents to have this letter delivered the day before his birthday, saying they would be unreachable for the next three weeks on vacation to Italy. They were too absorbed in themselves that they forgot his birthday. Again. Fifth year in a row.

Taking the letter down to the common room, he collapsed into a couch, throwing the letter on the table in front of him. His eyebrows were drawn down, his arms crossed over his chest. Glancing up, he noticed the muggle sixth year, Casey M-something. Whatever. He looked just as grumpy as Duncan felt. "You get bad news too?" He grumped out towards the older boy.

we must continue on through the pain

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Casey Mullane
 Posted: Jul 9 2016, 09:04 PM
Casey Mullane
Slytherin
Single
Muggle
16 YEARS OLD
" ... No. Just no."
My parents made me and then ruined my life. Jerks.
Special Ability: Douchebaggery
Liz

Duncan wasn't the only one experiencing the joy of a parental letter:

Casey,

We were deeply disappointed to hear that you got yet another detention. It is important for you to remember that you represent not only yourself, but the entire Mullane family. We are counting on you to make us a good name in the world outside of Dublin high society. As far as we can tell, you have not yet done anything for us to be particularly proud of. The Christmas season is coming up, so please at least try to pass a test.

Unfortunately, we have considered it necessary to make another sizable donation to Hogwarts in order to maintain your place there. As a result, we have decided that you will no longer be allowed to ski in Switzerland over the break. Adjust your plans, buck up, and shoulder the load.

Also, please stop trying to convince your sisters to send you comics. Taking advantage of children is beneath you.

So, yeah ... Duncan and Casey were in pretty much exactly the same mood. Casey kept glaring at the piece of paper in his hands, and finally he just balled it up and tossed it into the fire. Then he rested his forehead in his hand, clenching his other hand into a fist. He desperately wanted to jump out of his seat, shout, and hit something, but that wasn't really an option. Not if he wanted his parents to stop punishing him someday before he turned thirty-five.

He recognized Duncan, and was pretty sure he was accurate about what the guy's name was, and Duncan seemed just as pissed off as Casey felt. That was kinda nice. "Yuuuup," he muttered, slumping further into his chair. "Parents. They suck. They suck so hard. I can't wait until I don't have to deal with them anymore."

--------------------
Casey | Slytherin | Muggle | 6th-year
Thread Tracker

user posted image
PM
^
Duncan Connery
 Posted: Jul 12 2016, 02:15 AM
Duncan Connery
Slytherin
Single
Slytherin
16 YEARS OLD
I'm a halfblood wizard and I'm 15. Hogwarts is my home. It's where I met Astrid, Matthew, and Ariadne, my best friends. Anything else you want to know, you can read my application.
Animagus in Training
Heather

despite the anger

The biggest problem with Duncan's parents letter was the fact that they were retracting their offer that allowed him to invite his friends on the Christmas trip with him. And he knew it was only because he had mentioned he was dating Astrid in his last letter. He knew he needed to stop revealing information to them, because they always took away what little enjoyment he had in things to "toughen him up," but there was always that small hope that they would congratulate him and be proud of him for something that didn't involve grades, socializing, or improving their status in life through his school connections. He hated them. But he could never truly hate them, because children always want their parents approval, no matter how many times they are let down.

"I hate my parents too. They took back their offer to let my friends come to Christmas vacation with us because they're a "crutch" and I need to "toughen up" more." That toughen up part pissed him off most because he hardly spoke to anyone besides who his parents dictated over breaks, and he was a perfect son during those breaks. School was the only time he had off from the stuffy, ridiculous clothes his parents make him wear during breaks. He hated them and they were stupid and he'd have to wear them again over Christmas and wouldn't even have friends with him. Plus, he was tough enough. He did 50 sit ups and 50 push ups every morning. Before breakfast. He was fine.

"What did yours do?" He could tell Casey was pissed about something in his letter, sitting across from Duncan's tossed letter on the table. It looked like the same stationary his mother used, expensive, 'delicate,' and only for those of 'higher class.' He'd never thought about muggles having their own high society, but he supposed it wasn't too far out there of a theory. Plus, if Casey's parents were anything like his, they would get along well and have someone to complain to when their parents got overbearing.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Casey Mullane
 Posted: Jul 22 2016, 08:26 PM
Casey Mullane
Slytherin
Single
Muggle
16 YEARS OLD
" ... No. Just no."
Liz

Casey snorted with commiserating agony when Duncan mentioned "toughening up." Man, that stuff was just so annoying! "'Buck up?'" he remarked, his tone mocking. "'Shoulder the load?' That's what my parents say. It's so fucking obnoxious, man, I can't even deal with it."

Man, that was super lame, to take back an offer like that. What made parents think they could just get away with this crap? Like, sure, they had the money and were in charge for now but you'd think they might be interested in their kids not hating them until the end of time! "That's bullshit, man. That sucks a lot."

Casey leaned back in his chair and started thunking his two fists against each other, because he liked the sort of hollow, ringing sound it made when his knuckles met. He scowled at his hands as they moved back and forth. "I was supposed to go skiing over the break," he replied, "in Switzerland. Except now, since I guess I got too many detentions and, like, haven't passed any tests, I don't get to. Which is so dumb because you all have magic and have been doing this school for years, and I'm supposed to just show up and get awesome grades? That doesn't make sense! Like ... I'm not magical!"

--------------------
Thread Tracker

user posted image
PM
^
Duncan Connery
 Posted: Jul 26 2016, 07:20 PM
Duncan Connery
Slytherin
Single
Slytherin
16 YEARS OLD
Animagus in Training
Heather

despite the anger

He agreed with Casey; it definitely was extremely obnoxious. He especially hated when his parents mentioned his emotions. He could wipe everything from his face and he would still be caring too much for their liking. "They think I'm too 'emotional,' which is utter bullshite because I can show absolutely no expression on my face and it would still be too much."

It was really lame, like Casey said. Though, lame would definitely not be the word he would use to describe it. His parents would have reminded him to be articulate and precise in his language usage. Lame would be one of those terms they would grimace at and silently judge him for using. Preposterous would be a better word to use. "It's preposterous. Ridiculous, actually, the level of expectations my parents decide I must achieve."

When Casey started talking about how his parents had decided he could no longer go skiing over Christmas break, which he could understand their reasoning, but Casey's was sound too. Almost more so than his parents. One could only try so hard and do so much without help, especially starting at a sixth year level. "They started you out on sixth year stuff? That's absurd! We've had years of experience preparing for our classes, unlike you. The school had that idea? It's utter bollocks. If you need help studying, I'm a year behind, but I could always help with getting you up to at least fifth year material and explaining the theory behind the magical subjects and how magic works, why certain potions ingredients interact with each other in certain ways, the laws of transfiguration, and any other subjects we both have, if you'd like. Slytherins are supposed to stick together."

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Casey Mullane
 Posted: Jul 29 2016, 02:06 AM
Casey Mullane
Slytherin
Single
Muggle
16 YEARS OLD
" ... No. Just no."
Liz

At the discovery that Duncan's parents considered him too emotional, Casey looked over at the other boy, arched an eyebrow, and then burst out laughing. OK, now that was actually funny. "You?" he asked in disbelief. "You're too emotional? Are your parents robots are something? That's ridiculous. You're, like, king of the poker face." Man. OK, at least there'd been that. A good laugh. Too bad parents still sucked balls.

He shook his head as he listened to some more of Duncan's venting, then added his own to it. "Yeah, and they always say it's because they want the best for you. 'Oh, we just want you to be successful. We want you to make a good life for yourself.' But, like, dudes ... let me have at least some fun before I turn thirty-five!"

Then Duncan got to offering academic assistance, and Casey tossed him a skeptical gaze. Well ... he was a fellow Slytherin, and he wasn't all obnoxious and bouncy like that Matthew kid. And they shared the whole parent-hating thing. There could be a lot of upsides to spending more time with Duncan. Also, he wasn't a second-year. Casey needed at least one friend who was close to his own age so that he didn't look like an absolute creeper.

He shrugged. "I dunno. That could be cool. I don't think I'm actually doing sixth-year stuff. Just first-year stuff in a classroom with sixth-years. Which blows, honestly. As if it wasn't obvious enough already that I'm way behind. Seriously, I dunno how well the school administrators thought this whole thing through before going 'Hey, muggles, come on in!'"

--------------------
Thread Tracker

user posted image
PM
^
Duncan Connery
 Posted: Jul 29 2016, 11:31 PM
Duncan Connery
Slytherin
Single
Slytherin
16 YEARS OLD
Animagus in Training
Heather

despite the anger

Duncan smiled at Casey's reaction. He agreed wholeheartedly that he couldn't keep less emotion off his face even if he was a robot. His parents really were dicks. He chuckled a little and nodded. "They seem to think I care too much about people. Which, to be fair, I do care about people, especially when they're injured or upset, but my face comes across as if I feel nothing or I'm angry, so I don't really get it."

Duncan started nodding along to Casey talking about how parents were always expecting so much out of their young kids, and he couldn't agree more. "My parents just blatantly tell me I need to use other people for my own advantage, because other people are only there for me to manipulate to get ahead. Which is bullshit, but it's not like I can say anything about it, or I 'care too much.'" He couldn't wait to not have to listen to his parents anymore.

He listened to Casey talking about his classes and agreed. It was kind of ridiculous to throw muggles in like this, but without throwing them in the deep end, with complete submersion, it wouldn't show them the real magical world, he supposed. "It's probably easier for the younger students, because they're being thrust into it just like the muggleborn students, and eventually all of the muggle students will have started as a first year. It just sucks for you guys who are the first muggles to come. Even if you're doing first year stuff, I did that at one point, so I can help you get caught up?"

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Casey Mullane
 Posted: Sep 11 2016, 06:56 PM
Casey Mullane
Slytherin
Single
Muggle
16 YEARS OLD
" ... No. Just no."
Liz

"Huh. That's ... really weird, actually." Casey's parents were, in some ways, the opposite. They wondered why he didn't have more friends, but it wasn't like having a bunch of friends had really been an option after his siblings had died and he'd suddenly become the eldest one. He was supposed to be amazing at school and have a bunch of friends? How was that even possible? Was he just supposed to be perfect or something? It didn't make any sense. "My parents want me to make friends. Like, they don't get that it's kind of hard to do that. They talk about it like it's the easiest thing in the world. ... Wanna trade?"

He cocked an eyebrow when Duncan described how his parents thought he should treat other people. "Oh ... wait, never mind. They sound pretty freaking scary now. I don't think I want them."

He nodded about the whole thing being easier for the younger students. "Yeah, I mean ... it probably is easier for them. But, like ... it's kind of a dick move to make somebody spend his time going over first year stuff. Like, it's a cool offer, but wouldn't it get really old really quickly? Probably better just to stick with whoever the professors wanna stick me with. And then it's an assignment for them, rather than just me imposing on someone who would otherwise have a life." This was a reasonable concern!

--------------------
Thread Tracker

user posted image
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Our Affiliates
RPG-D LOHT
SKINNED BY 'WHAT KATY DID' AT SHINE